QUICK GUIDE TO MY MUSIC WORK - PART 1: FILTH

- - FROM 2011/17 - -
RETURN TO TIMELINE PAGE


What is Filth?

A rock musical story. Nineteen-year-old Rukia Raine commits suicide after her best friend, Will Hunt, tells her to. Why would Will tell Rukia to kill herself? Will explains everything as he recounts the full story of his destructive friendship with Rukia, from the day they met to the day he told her to die.

>DOWNLOAD/READ<
FILTH SCRIPT (NSFW)

Play/download the demos for Filth's songs (some lyrics NSFW) from the playlist below.

Heads-up: When each track in this playlist finishes, the next track will play automatically, so if you plan on playing the songs alongside a script read-through, don't forget to pause the playlist at the end of each song!



What do you need to know about Filth?

I wrote Filth after years spent working on musical theatre productions. I was sick of how tame rock musicals were compared to ACTUAL rock music. Whether it was Led Zeppelin, Patti Smith, Pink Floyd, David Bowie, The Clash, The Sex Pistols, Siouxsie And The Banshees, Nirvana, Nine Inch Nails, Rage Against The Machine, PJ Harvey, Radiohead, Garbage or [insert your own examples here], rock music made shows like Rent, Spring Awakening, Next To Normal and even American Idiot, based on a Green Day album no less, seem laughably limp.

Nuts to that, I thought. I wanted a rock musical that reflected the music, attitude and integrity (or rejection thereof) of the rock music that struck the deepest chord with me growing up. If rock musicals were the big hair bands of the 80's like Bon Jovi, Motley Crue and Poison, Filth would be the Nirvana, smashing the rock musical in the head with a guitar and doing it's own, nastier thing.


I poured all the deepest fears, regrets, anxieties and frustrations I felt about society, people, my loved ones and myself into the music, lyrics and story of Filth. Rukia was a reflection of all the ways I felt society failed and alienated the young, Will the embodiment of everything that haunted me about myself (plus some good aspects of me, like my being queer and trans). These two needed to be more than just lead characters, they had to speak as deeply to doomed youth as the show's music, and indeed the music and albums that inspired the show.

Filth has gotten as far as the script (written in 2011, but updated in 2017 to depict doxxing in more informed terms, also to change some outdated references i.e. Myspace to Twitter!) and the synth/drum-machine demos listed above (until I made those, the show's music existed, and STILL exists, as self-performed acapella notes tape-recorded haphazardly. Believe me, those notes are NOT fit for public consumption!). I'm still piecing the remaining demos together in my spare moments.


I've never learned to play instruments and have never been formally trained in music. I've known since youth though how to put songs together and didn't want to leave Filth's track development until I was more musically 'qualified.' Filth's script was not professionally-approached, it was the raw, upfront expression of a young person who didn't care if he'd never written a script before. Filth's music would be just the same kind of expression.

Want Filth to exist as more than demos and a script? Please go to patreon.com/lenaray - That's..



...and donate to help me bring Rukia's final days into reality!

Any questions, confusion or compliments about Filth? Leave a comment below!

- - NEXT POST - -
QUICK GUIDE TO MY WRITTEN WORK - PART 1: NINE CIRCLES

- - PREVIOUS POST - -
QUICK GUIDE TO MY GAME WORK - PART 2: JEWEL

No comments:

Post a Comment