QUICK GUIDE TO MY VIDEO WORK - PART 3: DRUNK SCHOOL

- - FROM 2013 - -
RETURN TO TIMELINE PAGE



UPDATE - NOVEMBER 2019: Drunk School WAS a YouTube series, but in response to the recent events between YouTube and COPPA, I've moved Drunk School to Dailymotion along with all my other videos. I don't plan to move my videos back to YouTube in 2020, so Dailymotion is where Drunk School will remain. My YouTube stories on this blog are now strictly past-tense! 

What is Drunk School?

An improvised YouTube series where I teach a class on a subject of my viewers' choosing, drunk out of my head. NSFW language warning!

What do you need to know about Drunk School?

In the wake of Air Pig going viral, the Noakes Channel's popularity ballooned, along with the stream of angry demands that I release videos weekly. I wanted to prove I could meet these demands, but couldn't make and produce Noakes episodes single-handedly once-a-week, so... what to do?

I brainstormed weekly-video concepts, looking for one that would catch on, have a fun premise, have viral potential, keep with the overall tone of Noakes, satisfy and expand my now-broader YouTube following and not cripple me budget-wise. Soon enough, I settled on Drunk School!



No script, several cheap drinks and half an hour to research, scribble and record. Those were the rules. The useable footage would be edited down and put on YouTube. That was all the time I had to work with. Internet, you get what you deserve.



To amplify the Noakes Channel attitude of giving the middle finger to YouTube channels that attempt to compete with TV-level production values, I filmed every episode of Drunk School using just my laptop's webcam.



After the third episode, Pokémon Drunk School, my laptop broke beyond repair, so I bought a new laptop as soon as I could and filmed using that laptop's webcam for Minecraft Drunk School.



Growing frustrated with my increasingly abusive viewer-base flagging my non-Air-Pig videos, I put Drunk School on hold after the Minecraft episode and took a break from the Noakes Channel, focusing on my music work. When I deleted the Noakes Channel months later, I re-uploaded Drunk School to Noakes Network, my second channel, aiming to continue the series with a new, more positive fan-base.



However, along with my other YouTube projects, Drunk School was discontinued once YouTube's algorithm changes made it impossible for the Noakes Network to gain new viewers. I devoted myself full-time to the Short Ass Podcast and building my SoundCloud audience until I could work out a solution to the YouTube algorithm issue. Instead, GamerGate happened and I would then devote myself to YesMode Games full-time.

Want to see me create more truly ridiculous videos? Please go to patreon.com/lenaray - That's...


...and donate to keep places like Drunk School open!

Any questions, confusion or compliments about Drunk School? Leave a comment below.

- - NEXT POST - -
QUICK GUIDE TO MY MUSIC WORK - PART 3: MAN'S WORST FEAR (JUST SOME QUEER)


- - PREVIOUS POST - -
QUICK GUIDE TO MY VIDEO WORK - PART 2: AIR PIG


No comments:

Post a Comment