QUICK GUIDE TO MY PODCAST WORK - PART 1: SHORT ASS PODCAST

- - FROM 2014/18 - -
RETURN TO TIMELINE PAGE



What is the Short Ass Podcast?

An audio series where I offer new thoughts on movies, games, TV, the general spectrum of entertainment. NSFW language warning!



What do you need to know about the Short Ass Podcast?

In 2014, YouTube changed it's video promotion algorithm in such a way that the Noakes Network channel could no longer build an audience. The new algorithm would only allow channels that already had a six-figure-plus subscriber count to maintain their popularity, not allow less-popular channels to gain popularity, UNLESS the channels stuck to a very rigid system of content production. Basically, make what the YouTube executives want you to make and gain promotion or make your own thing and be left to die on the floor. YouTube had become no better than a corporate TV network. Within months of this change, the viability and viewership of Noakes Network plummeted.

At the time, I was listening to The Attitude Era Podcast, a wrestling-review audio-series. My first immediate idea following the decline of Noakes Network was to make a podcast of my own, using SoundCloud as my new content-hosting site and base of operations. Not wanting to limit what kind of podcasts I would produce, I simply used the name "Short Ass Podcast," a nice, sassy way of announcing that my podcasts wouldn't be hours in length, which I saw at the time as the biggest flaw of audio podcasts.

As I was essentially starting a new channel on a different site to YouTube, I couldn't waste time with audience-building. I had to make an immediate impact and bring new viewers in FAST. To tap into the wrestling-audio-audience established by shows like The Attitude Era Podcast, my first episode theme on the Short Ass Podcast was whatever wrestling topic I could discuss that no-one else was discussing as profoundly. I settled on re-writing the wrestling invasion of 2001.

Why? 1998 to 2001 was the PEAK of wrestling's popularity. Even people who wouldn't call themselves wrestling fans would tend to know things about that era, such as The Rock and Stone Cold Steve Austin being the biggest stars in the world then. The invasion of 2001 was one the biggest reasons that people stopped watching wrestling at that peak. I figured that listeners would enjoy hearing about an alternate-universe 2001 where the invasion was, instead, brilliant.

Unfortunately, in my efforts to appeal to wrestling fans, I used far too much wrestle-fan vocabulary in my invasion discussions. Also I assumed that the listener would only click on my invasion episodes if they knew enough about 2001 wrestling already. Thus, for those unfamiliar with wrestling, the invasion episodes ended up VERY difficult to follow. If you want to listen to invasion re-write anyway, best of luck!



In 2018, I planned to re-record the invasion saga before continuing it, this time keeping non-wrestling-fans in mind and giving each player in the invasion more background info. Also to correct the MANY flaws with my re-write (I had no idea in 2014 that Bret Hart was too concussed to wrestle after 2000. How was I THAT unenlightened?).

However, due to WWE's (ONGOING!) blood-money deals with the royal family of Saudi Arabia (and UPDATE APRIL 2020: all the other disgusting, immoral garbage happening in the company), I have lost my desire to make fan content for WWE. All I'm willing to do at this point is leave my notes for the invasion re-write available to view (below). I don't really consider my muddled piles of notes fan content!

>READ/DOWNLOAD<
SHORT ASS PODCAST INVASION RE-WRITE NOTES

Since I brought up the company's blood-money, here's Paradox from Fake Fights giving WWE boss Vince McMahon what he deserves. Not waiting until the Fake Fights post to show off this pic!


Of course, my plan was never to limit the Short Ass Podcast to wrestling topics. After the invasion was covered, I would move into my alternate versions of the Star Wars prequels (which in November 2018 I FINALLY got around to recording! See top of page if you missed it) along with several other movie/TV/game re-write/re-design discussions.

I also planned to record some "Mount Rushmore" lists, where I cover FOUR of a given topic, my top four Mario games, my top four Star Trek stories, my Mount Rushmore of Disney movies and so on!

I didn't make myself think too deeply about what topics to cover, I would just offer my general, day-to-day thoughts on entertainment. Most of the best audio podcasts come simply from the hosts talking about whatever they find fun, so that's just what I did!

One month into Short Ass Podcast, GamerGate happened and changed everything. I ceased all projects I was working on and went back into making video games full-time. More on that in the next post when I cover The Gate.

If you want more of the thoughts I spout on the Short Ass Podcast, please go to patreon.com/lenaray - That's...


...and donate to make my entertainment discussions worth clearing time for!

UPDATE: DECEMBER 2020 - I've started expanding on my Star Wars prequel re-write. Rather than record more Short Ass Podcasts to cover this expansion (I can't record anything in this Covid lockdown situation unless it's from home, and my home recordings always sound like trash), I will upload the typed-out PDF of my much bigger, much deeper Episode One re-write.

>READ/DOWNLOAD<
MY EXPANDED RE-WRITE OF STAR WARS EPISODE ONE

Any questions, confusion or compliments about the Short Ass Podcast? Leave a comment below!

- - NEXT POST - -
QUICK GUIDE TO MY GAME WORK - PART 3: THE GATE

- - PREVIOUS POST - -
QUICK GUIDE TO MY WRITTEN WORK - PART 3: HEROES OF SHRUG


No comments:

Post a Comment