QUICK GUIDE TO MY WRITTEN WORK - PART 2: SULK

- - FROM 2014 - -
RETURN TO TIMELINE PAGE



What is SULK?

An animated vlog-parody that follows/mocks Liam Kelly, the awkward, closeted pre-trans me.

What do you need to know about SULK?

Upon seeing that Noakes episodes would take far longer to produce than I anticipated, I re-thought my approach to video development and formulated a new YouTube strategy: make weekly Stress Mode episodes to run alongside a much faster-to-produce cartoon series than Noakes, a PG series that could run on a month-to-month basis.

Then, after several months, have six episodes of Noakes ready to upload once-a-week as a series towards the end of the year. This made FAR more sense than to build a channel just around Noakes episodes, since I could only release new episodes every two months or so.

The much-faster-to-produce series became SULK, whose personal-vlog premise would allow a more free-form approach to writing than Noakes, letting me cut straight to parody without too much need for character or setting development.

>DOWNLOAD/READ<
SCRIPT FOR "MY ACTING CAREER... SULK"


SULK abbreviates as "Shut Up Liam Kelly," the reaction I knew most people would have to me if they ever watched a vlog of mine. SULK videos were also my take on rant videos (for those not familiar, vlogs that vent angry criticism at specific topics, such as politics, new games, etc). Some YouTube personalities have built entire channels and followings out of nothing but rant videos. I don't rant on the internet, I SULK, because I'm too timid and bored to rant!

>DOWNLOAD/READ<
SCRIPT FOR "EX-GIRLFRIEND... SULK"


To be serious though, I LOATHED rant videos and wanted to eviscerate the idea of rants with SULK. Like Noakes, SULK could only get away with it's mocking attitude if it took the classic-Simpsons approach to parody, to dig down to the core of social and societal failure (and my failures as a person), depict that failure in a way that was both unrelenting AND child-friendly, then make the viewer laugh at that failure without passing holier-that-thou judgement on the viewer. As long as SULK kept this approach to the writing, rant videos would look like lame, pointless whining by comparison.

>DOWNLOAD/READ<
SCRIPT FOR "BONER... SULK"


As it stands, SULK exists solely in the scripts above. Mid-way through work on the first SULK video, I was met with the 2014 algorithm shift that ultimately killed my YouTube career. Within months, I would move to game development in response to GamerGate, thus SULK remains unfinished beyond it's three scripts.

Want more of this kind of writing from me? Please go to patreon.com/lenaray - That's...


...and donate to help make more SULK's happen in my future.

Any questions, confusion or compliments about SULK? Leave a comment below!

- - NEXT POST - -
QUICK GUIDE TO MY WRITTEN WORK - PART 3: HEROES OF SHRUG


- - PREVIOUS POST - -
QUICK GUIDE TO MY VIDEO WORK - PART 4: STRESS MODE


No comments:

Post a Comment